Thursday, June 15, 2006

The Problem With Rap...

I was at dinner with an old friend of mine recently, catching up and having a dandy old time as old friends do. As part of this ritualistic catch up the subject turned from work, to football, to music to which I immediately expressed my disdain for most rap. He quickly reminded me that when we first met, close to a decade ago, I was all about the rap.

Blasts, he was right, I was all about the rap. However, somewhere around the corner of Gettingoldville and Workingfortheman St., I lost my way a little and now scoff and the “nonsense” that is rap. Then I started to think, hey I still love rap...back in the day kind rap, the kind of rap dubbed “old school” by a generation of myspacers with baggy pants and allowances.

So what happened? Where did rap turn so wrong? Below my assessment of the problem with nouveau rap from the rappers, the music to the style.

THE PLAYAS:
Old School Rap:
You can’t beat people like Biggie, Tupac, Snoop…I would love to see the likes of Chingy throw down in a break-dance fight with Tupac. Pac would kick your ass Chingy.

I would like to even take it a bit further to the days of NWA, “Straight Outta Compton” changed my life, or at least it bugged my parents and for a child that is life changing.

New School Rap:
It is just too faux hard core. Does injustice and racial inequality still exist? Yes, but I don’t see how droppin it like its hot is going to help. I will say, I have mad love for pop rappers such as Nelly and Kanye, their tantalizing tunes are ALWAYS good, poppy kinda good and I love pop.

Exception:
Rappers with staying power are also exempt since they will always be hard and always be cool…Jay-Z, Lil’ Kim and Eminem, I am talking about you (although I would consider Jay-Z and Lil’ Kim in the newer old school category)

THE SONGS:
Old School Rap:
Songs like "F*** The Police" by NWA and "California Love" by Tupac, I mean THOSE were the songs that meant something.

New School Rap:
Um, I can’t even understand what any of these rappers are saying. It’s like this jarbaled ebonix, and for someone fluent in the language, I just can’t comprehend.

Exception:
Kanye West’s “Drive Slow” cause that song is da BOMB (see ebonix fluent)! I play it when I want to feel exceptionally hard yet passively aggressively intimidating (you get the same effect if you cruise in an old school Cadillac).

THE DRESS:
Old School Rap:

Rappers in this genre would NEVER be caught dead in the likes of Armani or Gucci. If anything, an ill fitting pinstripe suit may be used for the “Mafioso” effect such as the Notorious BIG cover where he is sitting on a king's throne. Baggy pants, xxxl shirts, pumas and addias were all the order of the day. I still rock my pumas with slacks as a quasi f-u to the man (granted we have a causual dress code so i don't think the effect is the same).

New School Rap:
Not only do these boys have a fashion collection that would rival the likes of Lidnsay Lohan and Imelda Marcos, but they even design and market their own high end fashion duds. Puffy Diddy Sean Combs is just one example of a rapper who has turned into the man. Here I thought we were trying to bring down the man not turn into the man.

I guess this explains the preference of rap among most young professional men I know. Further, I find the more successful they are, the more they are into hardcore rap…ironic, dontcha think?

Exception:
Kanye West. Okay this is not an exception, the man dresses straight country club prep and I think it deserves its own shout out. Easy-E would turn over in his grave watching Kanye fit right in with the golf types. Mourn you till I join you E.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home